Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Father/Son Campout

On Friday night, Mitch and Alec drove up to our church camp property for a father/son campout with several other families. It was very rainy on Friday and it continued that night. But my troopers made a good night of it anyway. Our camp has a big pavillion and that is where they played while it was raining. Alec had a whole lot of fun.
Alec looks happy in spite of the rain.
Playing games with each other.
Alec blows up a balloon for a game.
Playing flag football is a new enjoyment for Alec. He hasn't learned all about it yet, but we are working on it. Fortunately for Alec, his mama had an older brother who taught her how to play football. I can still throw a spiral and still kick pretty good. My favorite thing to do in younger days was to punt bare-footed. My kids did not know that about me until two weeks ago. I must say that I showed out just a little ( amazingly they were pretty impressed ).
This was some log rolling, knot tying, running game. Mitch did not explain all the rules.
While the boys were doing male bonding type stuff, Kirsten and I spent Friday night going out to eat at Country Inn, Too (in Ripley) and then Claire spent the night. The next morning Kirsten and I got up early, drove to Tupelo, then back to New Albany to meet up with our Coach and some other girls to run. Unfortunately, I did not call and confirm that we were coming and they started running at 9:30 instead of 10:00. Kirsten did not mind at all, because she got to meet at the coffee shop for a coffee and conversation with the girls and didn't even have to run a step.
After leaving New Albany, we headed to the church camp for a family get-together with several families from our church and a church in Memphis. We had a good time eating and visiting. The kids played some games and the dads tried to prove that they could still play basketball like they did when they were younger. We left around 3:00 and headed to my in-laws to visit for a few minutes. It has been awhile since we had seen them and we had a good visit. Next, we headed to Falkner for a cookout at our friends' house. There were a lot of people there and we had a great time until we tried to leave. It was very wet and we got stuck and had to be pushed out of the mud. I felt sorry for the men who came to help push me out, because I have a full size conversion van instead of a little car. They graciously pushed me out anyway and in so doing got a great workout. We were not the only ones that got stuck and they got the chance to serve many others while pushing every one's cars out of the mud. It was a very full day, but also one filled with a lot of fun and fellowship.

No comments:

Post a Comment