Saturday, August 8, 2009

I DID IT!!!

I just registered for the St. Jude Half Marathon in Memphis, TN, in December. This will be my third St. Jude race in as many years. My plan right now is to blow my previous times out of the water. I am NOT going to let my knee dictate my training schedule. I plan on overcoming any pain that I feel and keep training. I would love to finish under 2 hours 40 minutes, but I am not sure that is possible. I am going to train for real this year and give it all I've got. The other cross-country moms are going to inspire me to continue training no matter what. My fitness level needs to be improved a great deal in the next four weeks to really get on track to train for the half. I hope to really increase my mileage this month (walking mileage) and try to run a little between now and September; in September, I hope to bump up my running and continue the walking. Every time I have signed up for the half, I start off strong in training and then life gets in my way and the training gets left off, but Lord willing, that will not happen this year. I realize that my finish time is not "great" as some other moms have times that I just envy, but it will be an amazing accomplishment for this Mom. Besides my time goal, another goal is to finish and not be in pain for the two weeks following the race. My previous races, I have been in so much pain the next few days, that going up and down stairs is extremely painful. For those of you who don't know why -- it is lack of training. See, I do know these things and this is the year that I will be properly prepared, I HOPE!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yea Julie! I am so excited for you! I will be praying that your knee holds up during your training! I am actually getting in a little bit of a panic thinking about 13 miles! I can't wait to do it though! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes for your training Julie! I admire and ...can I say envy?....your athletic ability! About a mile and a half walk is about all I can muster right now. Hoping to bump it up gradually. If I do too much too soon my lower back goes out and then I can't walk for several weeks....which defeats the purpose.

    God bless your efforts!

    Marilyn....in Mississippi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie that is great! I'm in no shape for such a thing, but maybe one day?! :) I'm glad to find out about your blog...I think blogging is way better than FB, but I do use FB to keep in touch with a lot of people who don't blog!

    ReplyDelete