Saturday, October 30, 2010

Trip to Red Robin and Memphis Zoo

This past Tuesday, Mitch and I took the kids to Memphis to eat at Red Robin and to visit the zoo. I have been wanting to eat at Red Robin for a while now. I love hamburgers and have enjoyed seeing the commercials and my mouth has been watering to taste these delicious burgers.
Kirsten and Alec enjoyed their soft drinks while waiting on our appetizers. Mitch ordered a chili/nacho appetizer and the kids and I ate the marvelous mozzarella sticks.
Alec wasted no time chomping down on his amazing burger.
Kirsten enjoyed her "clucks and fries" (aka chicken strips and fries).
Alec and Kirsten love the zoo a little more than I do, and that is a lot. Mitch graciously decided to accompany us on this excursion, even though he does not enjoy the zoo very much.
This snake was part of the Halloween decor that was very visible all around the zoo. Kirsten "staged" this picture, and I must admit that it turned out very well.
This family of monkeys was so much fun to watch. The big monkey on the right is the mama of the one on the left and also the small orange-headed one in her lap. The interaction between these monkeys was astounding. We also enjoyed it when another monkey climbed the pole and try to "irritate" the mother and she just started swatting at him with her free arm.
Alec has always been partial to the Komodo dragons and we enjoyed being able to see them up close. The trainers were there for their weekly feeding and they were telling us how fast they are and how well they climb (even over the zoo access doors).
At first, these dragons barely moved and almost looked like statues, and we just thought that it was because they are cold blooded reptiles and they were cold. But, these marvelous creatures became really excited when the trainers got close. I don't know if they smelled their food or saw the maroon shirts that the zoo keepers wore, but they were almost dancing in excitement.
This hippo was fun to watch. I had already been watching for several minutes and one hippo was under water (for a long time) and this one was standing at the edge of the water just resting. I don't know if it saw my camera and decided to "smile" or if it was irritated at me for standing so long just watching. Either way, I am glad that I was patient and got this shot.
This tiger is truly magnificent. He didn't move the whole time that we were watching, but he is still a beautiful creature.
Alec and Kirsten pose in front of the tiger pen.
The snow leopard is so unique.
The cheetah is one of my favorite creatures of all time. I told the kids that cheetahs are cats with ADHD, because they are in constant motion, never sitting, never standing.
This makes a great fall picture.
I love this picture of this fish in its habitat.
Alec and Kirsten stand on a pretty red bridge in the China section.
I love polar bears. This bear just sat and posed on this rock.
A bald eagle always makes me well up with national pride.
The kids got tired of me taking their picture, but they still complied with my wishes.
I love this sign in the newest section of the zoo. This houses the wolves and grizzly bears.
The bears were so cute. The zoo has three half grown cubs and they were playing and interacting for us.
My family is being silly while watching the bears.

1 comment:

  1. Julie,
    Your zoo pictures are sooo good! Ben and I enjoyed them!
    Glad you all had a good day,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete