Saturday, May 22, 2010

Tie-Dye 5K

We had a very foggy, gloomy morning for a race. But when we saw these unique trophies, our spirits lifted a little.
The Tie-Dye race staff wants this race to be known as wacky and I think these trophies certainly fit that description.
I did not walk down to the start of the race. Instead I decided to take pictures as the runners came past me. You can see the fog still on the ground, but that did not dampen the spirits of the more than 330 racers.
Alec comes into the finish line (slower than he planned -- 27:10, I think) but we had already seen that most runners were a little slower than normal.
Claire decided to sprint past 4 competitors in the last tenth of a mile. She really turned on the speed and made us all cheer even louder.
Kirsten did not have a very good race. She wasn't even going to run this one but I told her that she either had to run the race or run three miles at home. She made the wise decision to run the race and now realizes just how much speed her broken arm has cost her. She has two running camps coming up this summer and I am sure with all the extra practice that she will get back her speed soon.
Claire, Alec, and Kirsten pause for a picture in their "wacky" hats.
Alec is proud that the race is over.
Kirsten wanted a picture in her hat because I failed to get one of her the year before.
Several Spartan girls pose with their hats.
Scott and Brandon love these "lip whistles".
Brandon -- aka the "white Kenyan" (so-named by my brother) won his age division again.

1 comment: