Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Gumtree 10K

This morning was a BEAUTIFUL morning for a race. It made me almost want to sign up on the spot and run the race. I had way to much fun watching and cheering to run.
The race consisted of over 900 people (there were 200-300 people who participated in the 2K event -- including Lisa and Preston, who ran the whole race without stopping).
Sherrie and her husband, Don - pictured below - had a small challenge to each other to see who would come in first. I, of course, was rooting for Sherrie, but afraid that Don would come in first simply because men can usually run faster than women; especially when pride is at stake. I am proud to say that Sherrie ran faster and won the challenge -- she ran a very fast 47:00 and finished 2nd in her age group.
Roan always looks so refreshed and happy -- even at the end of a six mile race. She is a true joy to be around and I am always proud of her accomplishments.
Alec did not have a good run today. He has been coughing the last couple of days and I probably should have made him sit this one out, but he was determined to run anyway. He finished 5th in his age group but his time was way off of last week -- 1:05:56. After getting home, he crashed and took a nap. When he got up, I noticed that he was running a fever. So, I guess that is why he did not have a good race. We are proud of him for persevering through not feeling well.
Kirsten ran a respectable 1:20:20 and finished 20th in her age group. We were hoping for better but she has also been coughing for two days and struggled to breathe for part of the race. She also has not run but three other times in 6 weeks, due to recovering from her broken arm. We are proud of her also for sticking it out and finishing with a smile on her face.
Three of our young Spartans stacked the field in the 10 and under group and won all three trophies. We had lots of runners and several parents run this race. It is amazing to watch them all -- the fast and the not so fast, the young and the not so young. These special people give it their all every week and I enjoy watching them all run.
Brandon won first in his age group, with a time of 47:25. We expect big things out of this little guy with big talent.

2 comments:

  1. Good job Kirsten and Alec! Hang in there Alec determination is a great quality for a long distance runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of Kirsten! And poor Alec....I am so sorry that he was running fever.
    You should have signed up when you got there! It was such a beautiful day, and I enjoyed this Gumtree better than any other Gumtree I have run.
    Thank you for all of your kind comments! I enjoyed this race because I did not start out too fast.
    See you Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete