Sunday, October 4, 2009

What Was I Thinking?

Last week at one of our cross-country practices, a couple of moms were talking about running on Sunday and said to me, "You should come and run with us." Immediately, my head said, "NO!" but since I am up for most challenges, my mouth said, "OKAY, That sounds like fun!" What I didn't know at the time was that I would have to leave my house at 4:50 to drive to Blue Springs to meet another mom and that we would have to drive another 30 minutes to get to our designated meeting place. By the time we got there, I had already been up for an hour and a half and it was just 6:00. They had been planning on run/walking for 9 miles. A total of 6 moms were there in the dark and a slight drizzle. We set off after a short prayer for safety and endurance -- thanks, Lori, we needed that. I was able to keep up for about 3 miles, before these crazy run/walkers who had told me that they would be doing a "slow walk" just kept on getting farther and farther ahead of me. I was able to keep them in my sights at all times and I knew the half way/turn around spot was close by. My running was hindered by the fact that I was not prepared to go as fast as they were and also by needing to find a restroom. I finally made it to the halfway point, rested, and relieved myself and stupidly decided that I really felt good and could make it back the other 4 1/2 miles. That thought lasted about 1 mile, when I found myself once again falling farther and farther behind. I am very glad that they all kept running, because I never want to hinder or slow down someone else's run. I was able to see them ahead at all times, except for once when I figured they must have turned left. When I got to where I thought they turned left, I turned and hoped that I was correct. I was smart enough to notice which county road I was on, so when I was lost, they could come find me. You must remember, it was very dark when we left and I did not plan on trying to find my way back. I realized I was on the wrong road and backtracked to where I had turned and one of the moms had come looking for me -- THANK GOODNESS! I only had another mile to go to get back to the truck -- my head was saying lots of ugly words during that last mile. But I made it back to the truck, we raced back to Blue Springs, I raced back home and into the shower to get ready for church.
I am GLAD that I made the effort to run this morning. I hate the fact that I was not able to keep up with them. I wish that I had taken the offer to ride back to the truck at the half way spot/I am glad that I did not take the offer to ride back to the truck at the half way spot. I am really not sure which way I feel. I know that during the second half of the run -- I was wishing for the ride. Now that I am home -- I am glad that I finished my goal of doing the 9 miles. The only thing that I regret right now, is that I made us later arriving back home by being slow and getting lost. Thanks Lynn, Emily, Yonea, Kim, and Lori for letting me come run with you. It was fun and challenging.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you came, Julie! It was so fun to see everyone!!! I think that you made a HUGE accomplishment today, and should be proud! I hope you'll come again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Julie, I am sorry that you took the wrong turn, I feel terrible! I am amazed at your determination today! I don't think that I would have been able to do it! So glad you came!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think y'all are ALL crazy! Who wants to wake up at 4:30- that's the middle of the night! :) Just kidding... At least you did it! More than I would have even tried! :)

    ReplyDelete