Saturday, June 19, 2010

5K Run in New Albany

This morning the kids ran a small 5K in New Albany. It is the same course as the Tallahatchie 5K and they love that course, so they wanted to do this one.
Alec is just getting started on his run. Boy, was it hot today.
Kirsten looking good early. The woman she is behind eventually won the first female overall.
Forrest running for the finish line. He said that he was bit by a dog on this course and that slowed him down. I asked him if he kicked the dog at all after being bitten and he said that he was afraid that would make it madder. I think I would have kicked the dog anyway. I have absolutely no use for a dog that bites people.
Alec coming into the finish line. He was a tired as he looks. His time was 27:35 and he won first place (there were however no awards, no recognition, no nothing). I am most perturbed that the race cost $25.00 to enter and they didn't even hand out awards.
Kirsten finished in a very respectable 32:35 and won first place in her age division also. She is glad she ran it even though it was hot. I think that she might have the confidence (again) to start pushing herself.
My children after the race. I am so proud of them for wanting to run in this heat.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie! Tell Kirsten to keep up the hard work! I think she is doing great. Congrats to Alec too! I hope you guys are having a great summer! It is so hot! Hope to see y'all soon!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is discouraging for the children to run so hard, and then not get any recognition! I am not sure why races like this cannot even buy some ribbons. At the very least it would be nice to call out the winners' names. I understand your frustration!
    Hope to see y'all soon.
    I am back at home now, and I am slowly catching up on blogs. I had my laptop with me on vacation, but I chose to read books instead of go online! I read 2.5 books!

    ReplyDelete